Posted to rec.food.baking
Eddie G[_1_] Eddie G[_1_] is offline

Default Why lower temps for non-stick pans?

Hi,

I bought a cake mix and noticed that the baking instructions were 30 mins at
350 degrees. It then said, "For darker or non-stick pans, bake at 325
degrees for 41-44 minutes." I've not seen this before.

Why do non-stick pans require a lower temperature for longer? What happens
if you don't adhere to those instructions? What is considered to be a
"darker pan?"

I usually bake from scratch and have never seen this before. I remember
there used to be different instructions for glass vs. metal pans, but never
for non-stick and darker pans.

Thanks so much,

Michelle