Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default milk in meatloaf?

Scott wrote:
> why do some meatloaf recipes call for milk?
> what's the difference between using milk and water?

I've never used milk or water, but judging from the replies some people
think their meatloaf needs added moisture, in which case milk offers
more taste than water. Maybe they use only beef in their loaves, maybe
that's why they need the moisture. I always use beef and pork and
veal, or at least beef and pork, and haven't found a need for added
moisture. I add an egg and just a small bit of bread crumbs to get the
texture I like. Occasionally I will add a bit of canned diced tomatoes
and some of that juice, in which case I probably would add a few more
crumbs. Our meatloaf usually is more for sandwiches than for heating
hot and we like a firm, dense loaf for that. -aem