A.T. Hagan

Default Is this generally true about baking yeast?

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:01:57 GMT, "Graham" > wrote:

>"A.T. Hagan" > wrote in message
>> Is the following generally true about interchanging yeast types in
>> bread making?
>>

>> "To substitute Rapid Acting yeasts for Active Dry yeasts reduce the
>> amount of Rapid Acting used by 25% from the amount of Active Dry the
>> recipe calls for then add the dry yeast to the dry ingredients before
>> mixing.
>>
>> To substitute Active Dry for Rapid Acting increase the amount of
>> Active Dry by 25% over what the recipe calls for of Rapid Acting yeast
>> and dissolve in warm water (100° to 110°F) with a small amount of
>> sugar before mixing in with the dry ingredients.
>>

>Strictly speaking, in the second example you should increase by 33%.
>Graham

I won't dispute what you say, but the little (very little) info I
could find on this says 25% or thereabouts. Why do you say 33%?

It's the standard active dry yeast to rapid acting yeast and vice
versa conversion that I was most concerned with.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.