David Barto

Default San Diego Cook-in (Poway Cook-in) REC

Thank You All,

I had a great time at the cook-in! Mainly because Jamie,
Koko and Charlie did so much work. Jamie set up a drawing for
some baskets Charlie brought, and we all filled with goodies.
We ended up with about $78 for charity. (Is that right Jamie?)

Everything was great. The weather, the people, the food,
and then toward the end Debra Fritz, Koko, and Jamie cleaned up
the kitchen. David and I agreed we should have a cook-in once
a month, so much fun, and someone else cleans up! Wow!

OK, we do have a few leftover tools. One of the pink
holders from Koko's rice sheets, Jamie's strainer, and some tongs.
I don't remember whose tongs. Oh, also the bottom to a ziplock
container and an old fashioned wooden clothespin thingy.

For those concerned, Merry showed up right after
everyone left. She was in the guest room, and we looked there.
Oh well, she is just fine, and I don't look like a pirate
anymore either. ;-)

RECIPE:

Back some years ago the lox recipe was posted by me.
This time I splurged and bought copper river chinook. The
meat is very fine grained and almost red compared to
the King salmon.

The scallops are very simple:

Use large scallops, wrap with maple cured bacon, and
secure w/ a toothpick. Set oven to 425 and place one rack
near the top. (electric oven) Mix enough maple syrup and same
amount of soy sauce to coat the scallops. Add about a tsp.
ground ginger, and chinese five spice to taste and stir.
(I have also done this adding 2-3 Tbs. Fino) Let the scallops
swim through the liquid and put on broiler pan. Bake about
20 min. Turn and cook another 5-10 min.or until bacon is done.

This sounds like a loooong time for scallops. The bacon
I use is thick cut (from Cost-co) and it protects the scallops,
while they get nicely browned on the open ends.

Thanks everyone, and Koko do you have time to post the
food list?

Katherine Barto