Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy[_2_] Andy[_2_] is offline

Default Roast Chicken - does free range taste any better

aem said...

> Gareth wrote:
>> Does a free range corn fed chicken actually taste any better than a
>> cheap chicken when roasted, or is it purely a matter of animal welfare?
>>
>> From my limited experience, I can't really tell the difference, but I
>> would be interested in what other people think.

> My experience is limited, too, and I still haven't settled on a brand
> or vendor as "best" among those available around here. The better ones
> I've tried do seem to have a tastier, more robust flavor. At least
> enough so to warrant further trying. Not all the chickens packaged as
> "free range" say that they are corn fed, though. Those marked "free
> range" and "organic" do at least usually say that they don't feed them
> animal byproducts. On the other hand, those marked "kosher" have not
> necessarily been free range birds either. I suppose with all the
> different labeling I should make an effort to be more systematic about
> what I try but I haven't got to that point yet. -aem

Recently, I had the same experience with buffalo. Free-range (marked
organic, no antibiotics and no hormones) tasted much better than grain-fed.
The grain-fed buffalo tasted like ordinary beef.

I'll have to try free-range chicken AND eggs.

Andy