Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Roast Chicken - does free range taste any better

Gareth wrote:
> Does a free range corn fed chicken actually taste any better than a
> cheap chicken when roasted, or is it purely a matter of animal welfare?
>
> From my limited experience, I can't really tell the difference, but I
> would be interested in what other people think.

My experience is limited, too, and I still haven't settled on a brand
or vendor as "best" among those available around here. The better ones
I've tried do seem to have a tastier, more robust flavor. At least
enough so to warrant further trying. Not all the chickens packaged as
"free range" say that they are corn fed, though. Those marked "free
range" and "organic" do at least usually say that they don't feed them
animal byproducts. On the other hand, those marked "kosher" have not
necessarily been free range birds either. I suppose with all the
different labeling I should make an effort to be more systematic about
what I try but I haven't got to that point yet. -aem