Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Roast Chicken - does free range taste any better

Gareth wrote:

> Does a free range corn fed chicken actually taste any better than a
> cheap chicken when roasted, or is it purely a matter of animal welfare?
>
> From my limited experience, I can't really tell the difference, but I
> would be interested in what other people think.

My neighbours used to have free range chickens. We bought eggs
form them and they gave us a few chickens. The eggs were great,
and the yolks were so bright that omelettes and scrambled eggs
made with them were orange. The chickens we cooked were
fantastic. There is a butcher shop down the road that sells free
range chickens. I am willing to spend the extra money on them
because I think they do taste a lot better.