Posted to alt.food.barbecue
[email protected] hrbrickerNOSPAM@ij.net is offline

Default Boston Butt on Weber

On 8-Dec-2006, wrote:

> I have read many recipes and posts from the board but have a question
> as I seen to be getting some conflicting opinions.
>
> I am going to smoke a 6lbs boston butt on a Weber kettle this weekend.
> I want to be able to slice it when I am done, not pulled and chopped.
> I am looking to get to an internal temp of about 170 (I would prefer
> 160 but others are afraid that is too low). I hope to keep the grill
> temp between 200 and 250. It will be tough to be more accurate with a
> Weber kettle.
>
> Most advice says 45 minutes per pound. For 6 lbs I am looking at three
> hours. However, a bunch of what I read says it I should look at some
> where around double that time or more.
>
> Is the longer time going to end up in a much higher internal temp and
> therefore more suitable for pulling it off the bone and having pulled
> pork?
>
> I have no problem waiting till the internal temp is right but I am
> trying to plan the finish time so we know when to eat. I don't want to
> start too early or too late.

A Boston Butt or just plain butt in it's natural state is a tough piece of
meat. Once you get it done enough to break down all of that tough
collagen, you have a pretty narrow range between sliceable and falling
apart tender. Part of the problem is that the temperature where the
tough parts of the meat begin to break down varies a lot from one
cut to another. The generally accepted point is about 167°F, but I've
seen some hang at 172° for a couple of hours. If you take it off at
about 170°F internal, then wrap it, put it in a dry cooler and let it
rest for a couple of hours, you're likely to get close to what you
want. It should climb to 175° or more while resting and that should
get the job done. If not, sue me.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)