Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default wooden cutting board - the taste

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
>> A finish I used when I was in the cutting board business -
>> wax instead of oil - had this formula.
>> 1 ounce (weight) beeswax
>> 4-6 fluid ounces neutral vegetable oil (soy, corn, peanut)
>> 9-12 drops essential oil (any of several, available from
>> health food stores)
>> Warm the oil, drop in the beeswax and stir to melt. Add
>> essential oils and mix well. Pour into a jar, let cool and
>> put the lid on. I packaged it in 4-ounce canning jars - that
>> would last most people a long time. This recipe can be
>> multiplied. I used to give it as gifts to people who bought
>> my cutting boards. The wax is very soft and can be spread
>> very easily.

> Do you perchance still sell this stuff?

I don't. And I don't even have some I could send you. Sorry.
I'm using my last jar now.

> I know I could make my own but...... ;-)
>
> Basil would be very nice.

It is. Why don't you make a bunch of it and put it in those
4-ounce canning jars - as gifts. Cheap, unique, useful,
memorable. It takes all of about 15 minutes to melt the wax
and mix the stuff in it. Another few minutes with a ladle
and some jars. You could probably package a dozen jars in
less than 1/2 hour. For people you really like, an
inexpensive wooden board completes the ensemble. For people
you really like naked, give them the "kit."

Here's the entire "kit" I included with each hand-made board:
1) two pads of 000 steel wool
2) a jar of the wax
3) a 16-ounce spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide
4) a 16-ounce spray bottle of white vinegar
5) a 16-ounce spray bottle of soy oil
6) four non-woven cloths for waxing and oiling

Steel wool for touching up scratches. The wax for sealing
the surface and filling any small spaces. The peroxide and
vinegar to use in sanitizing the boards (spray them from
separate bottles onto the surface, let it sit for a couple
minutes, wipe with a paper towel. Sterile. Works on plastic,
as well.). Soy oil for more frequent use than the wax, just
to protect the wood a bit. The cloths because I liked them,
and because they provided a nice look to the package. I used
an oversized zipper bag with everything arranged nicely.

Pastorio