Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Kake L Pugh Kake L Pugh is offline

Default Miso baked tofu - and aubergine thing

Natarajan Krishnaswami > wrote:
>> nasu dengaku

I finally managed to earmark an aubergine to try out some of your suggestions
(the problem is they're so _useful_, I kept putting them in other things).

I used this preparation:
> Score the eggplant halves in a criss-cross pattern, brush the scored face
> with oil, and broil on both sides till nicely speckled. (Alternatively,
> deep fry the slices.) Spread each cut surface with nerimiso and rebroil
> quickly until the miso is fragrant and speckled.

I used large eggplants and the skin went a bit tough. I think I'll try the
peeling-them-in-strips thing next time.

and this nerimiso recipe:
> 2 Tbsp red, barley or hatcho miso
> 1 Tbsp honey
> 1 1/2 tsp sake, white wine or mirin
> 1/4 tsp gingerroot, grated
> 1 Tbps water
> 3-4 Tbsp oil
> 1-2 tsp roasted sesame seeds
> [...]
> Combine the miso, honey, sake, and water, and simmer for 3-4 minutes
> till smooth and slightly thickened. Remove from heat.

It was a bit too sweet for me, but then I did use mirin, not having either
sake or white wine on hand. I'll have to get hold of some sake and try it
again.

One thing I hadn't entirely been expecting was how well the nerimiso retained
heat, so I burned my tongue slightly

All very very tasty though; thank you.

Kake