Old 08-12-2006, 08:25 AM posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Kake L Pugh Kake L Pugh is offline

Default Miso baked tofu - and aubergine thing

Natarajan Krishnaswami wrote:
nasu dengaku

I finally managed to earmark an aubergine to try out some of your suggestions
(the problem is they're so _useful_, I kept putting them in other things).

I used this preparation:
Score the eggplant halves in a criss-cross pattern, brush the scored face
with oil, and broil on both sides till nicely speckled. (Alternatively,
deep fry the slices.) Spread each cut surface with nerimiso and rebroil
quickly until the miso is fragrant and speckled.

I used large eggplants and the skin went a bit tough. I think I'll try the
peeling-them-in-strips thing next time.

and this nerimiso recipe:
2 Tbsp red, barley or hatcho miso
1 Tbsp honey
1 1/2 tsp sake, white wine or mirin
1/4 tsp gingerroot, grated
1 Tbps water
3-4 Tbsp oil
1-2 tsp roasted sesame seeds
[...]
Combine the miso, honey, sake, and water, and simmer for 3-4 minutes
till smooth and slightly thickened. Remove from heat.

It was a bit too sweet for me, but then I did use mirin, not having either
sake or white wine on hand. I'll have to get hold of some sake and try it
again.

One thing I hadn't entirely been expecting was how well the nerimiso retained
heat, so I burned my tongue slightly

All very very tasty though; thank you.

Kake