Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default What to serve with Prime Rib?

laurie wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> Relax.... I'd do a simple steamed broccoli or steamed califlower
>>> florets as

>> a side dish. Or perhaps fresh green beans. No casseroles, none of
>> that "I
>> think I have to fuss in the kitchen all day" stuff. That so
>> irritates me about holiday cooking. Nothing fancy, no fancy sauces
>> required unless you want to; just vegetables with butter, salt &
>> pepper. I often wonder why everyone thinks holiday dishes have to
>> be so flamboyant. Prime rib itself is very nice; simplicity should
>> accompany it.
>>
>> Jill

> If I steam ahead and re-heat, will they get wilted or soggy? My
> kitchen isn't huge and I want to cut down on un-needed dishes in the
> sink and on the stovetop.
>
> laurie

My kitchen is a matchbox. You should let the prime rib roast set for about
10-15 minutes (tented under foil) on a board next to the stove before you
slice it. Steam the veggies on the stovetop while that's happening. Maybe
heat some pre-bought dinner rolls in the already hot oven at the same time.
Slice the roast and place on a serving platter. Spoon the steamed veggies
into serving dishes. Put the rolls on a plate or in a basket. Set out some
butter. Don't worry about the dishes in your sink.

Jill