Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default wooden cutting board - the taste

Hilbert wrote:
> Thanks for the ideas. I'll try the scrubbing with salt and lemon, and
> then oil the cutting block. Hopefully it will save it.

I thought you said it was brand new, only that it had a smell from
onion/garlic, so what's to save?
Anyway built-in countertop boards are not at all utile, they are for
decoration... makes no sense to use a built in board as there is no way
to clean it properly and it will need cleaning each and every time it
is used, especially for anything wet... and why need to clean such a
large surface when something a quarter it's size will do just fine for
most kitchen tasks, certainly to dismember onions and garlic. Some
built-in boards are made removeable, they lift/slide out, then at least
they can be much more easily cared for without damage to the
surrounding countertop, but still they're best used only for dry work
like baking. If your's is not the removeable type I'd not use it other
than for it's original intent, a decoration, essentially it's
furniture.

> And in the meantime I'll probably get some cutting matts.

Outstanding decision... get a bunch of variously sized plastic boards,
mostly you'll use the smaller ones, say 8" X 12"/14". The modern
plastic boards are more gentile on cutlery than wood and are so easy to
clean/maintain.

I no longer use my decorative wood cutting boards other than for
presentation/serving; cheeses, sausages, fruit, bread.

Sheldon