Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default wooden cutting board - the taste

Hilbert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We just moved into a new house, and the built in wooden cutting board,
> although new, makes everything that touches it taste like
> onion/garlic/...
>
> Is there any way to take this bad taste out of the wooden block? I'm
> pretty sure there's a trick for it.

No tricks, just techniques. You want to clean the board and
then oil it. A good dish detergent, a scrub brush and about
5 minutes of elbow grease to start. Wipe/rinse with clear
water several times. Then do it a couple more times. Let it
air-dry for a few hours and don't put anything on the
counter during that time. Then oil it. This is a subject of
heated discussion between the mineral oil set and the ones
who say any oil except the strongly flavored ones. Take your
choice. Wipe it all over the wooden surface. Come back an
hour later and do it again. And, if you have OCD, come back
an hour later and do it again.

You now have a basic finish on the counter. Wash gently
after each use, and oil every few weeks. It'll last forever.
After a while, it may show scratches or mars. A bit of
sandpaper will take care of that quickly. Then wipe and oil
again. It will actually be a lot less maintenance than it
sounds like here.

Pastorio