Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Wayne Lundberg Wayne Lundberg is offline

Default Ponche Navideno

"Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> You can argue about who eats what in Mexico... but rich, or poor,
> everybody seems to enjoy Christmas punch:
>
> 6 Quarts of water.
> 1 Cup of prunes, pitted and chopped.
> 2 1/4 Pounds of Tejocotes or dried Apricots, washed and opened slightly
> with a crosscut.
> 16 Guavas cut in quarters.
> 1 1/2 cups of Hibiscus flowers (washed).
> 6 sugar cane sticks peeled and cut into quarters.
> 1 Dottle of White Wine.
> 2 Piloncillo Cones (or two cups Dark Drown Sugar).
> 2 Cups chopped Apples.
> 2 Cups Pears (semi ripe) chopped.
> 1/2 Cup Raisins.
> 2 Oranges each spiked with 10 Whole Cloves.
> 4 Cinnamon Sticks, each 6 inches long.
> 2 Cups Dark Rum.
>
> Place the water in a large saucepan and add the prunes and tejocotes
> and cook for 20 minutes, or until the fruit softens. Add the guava,
> hibiscus flower, sugar cane, white wine, piloncillo,m apples, pears,
> raisins, oranges and cinnamon sticks. Simmer for an hour. Serve hot.
> Serve a chunk of fruit in every mug. Add the rum (to the mug) at the
> last minute so the chilluns can have some punch, too. The alcohol has
> already cooked out of the wine.
>
> All of the ingredients are available in many places... substitutions
> are great with other sweet fruits, if necessary.
>
> This recipe is based upon a Patricia Quintana recipe. I wouldn't do a
> Christmas party, or have people drop in on Christmas without serving
> it.
>
> Jack

Awesome! Darn, but this brings back memories!! The aroma through the house
while the folks prepared this delight. I can still smell and taste it! And
that was over 50 years ago.
Tejocotes may be a bit hard to find in the US.
..