Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Natarajan Krishnaswami Natarajan Krishnaswami is offline

Default chickpea curry

On 2006-12-02, Kake L Pugh > wrote:
> I did a morning of kitchen volunteering for a charity[0] the other weekend,
> and one of the other people there made some potatoes roasted with ground up
> herbs and spices including bay leaf. The idea is you reduce the bay leaf to
> a powder and actually eat it, rather than leaving it whole and picking it
> out before you eat. I was intrigued; I'd always thought you couldn't eat
> bay leaves. I've not tried this yet, but I think I will.

I've always eaten the whole leaves first, so they don't make the
serving too bitter *grin*. It scares some of my friends for some
reason. When I make garam masala, I grind them with other spices. I
think "Old Bay" seasoning in the US includes ground bay leaf.

For the dish in my post, since I was grinding quickly in a mortar and
pestle, I didn't want to spend a lot of effort on the tough leaf.

N.