Alex Rast

Default Ice Cream Question???

at Tue, 08 Jun 2004 20:05:17 GMT in
s.com>,
(SPOONS) wrote :

>Hi all,
>
>I recently got a GE gel canister ice cream maker and I've had a few hits
>& misses. I don't use any eggs in my ice cream recipes only cream, milk
>& sugar. So far I've made chocolate ice cream twice and I don't like
>how it turned out mostly because I don't know what type of chocolate to
>use.

How was it disappointing, relative to what you were expecting?

> I did find some Lindt Fine Dark Chocolate that is 85% cocao & it's
>100 gr bar. Can I use this in my next attempt?

I recommend simply *eating* it instead because Lindt's 85% is the best 85%
chocolate on the market and one of the very best chocolates for eating
straight you can find. As for using it in ice cream, it may not be as ideal
as you would like because of a high cocoa butter content. This creates
difficulties with texture - the chocolate doesn't emulsify completely
and/or the result is excessively dense and greasy.

> Or can you recommend
>something better.

El Rey Gran Saman 70%. This chocolate has a low cocoa butter content and in
addition a particularly intense flavour, which you want for ice cream where
the effects of dilution with ingredients that tend to mute the chocolate
flavour and of chilling which mutes the taste still further mandates a very
powerful chocolate.

Chocolate chips also work well because they're formulated specifically with
low cocoa butter. Here the one you should use is Ghirardelli Double
Chocolate because, again, it's got far more intensity of flavour than other
chocolate chips.

Methodologically, you'll find that the most foolproof method is to grate
the chocolate finely (using a box grater), make a custard (it should really
only need be eggs, cream, and milk, and pour the hot custard over the
grated chocolate. You'll need the eggs, btw, to cut the fat content down to
a proper amount (using a higher proportion of milk won't work because of
the aforementioned emulsification problems). Eggs stabilise and emulsify
the mixture.

>Also what are some of your favorite ice cream recipes that you've
>created? I'm looking to try something new.

Take a look at both the rose ice cream and the chocolate ice cream recipes
I posted on the NG before. If you can't find them in DejaNews, I'll repost.

--
Alex Rast