Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Washu Washu is offline

Default beer vs wine

> So I have not heard too much about how beer is made. Are there any main
> differences?

In a very general sense beer is made from grain and hops though fruit
and sugars are also used.

> Like the lees have to be removed still?

The lees are called trub in beer and though I usually rack to a
secondary some do not.

> The grains must be boiled as to make the starches convertable?

The grains are mashed at 150-160f for about an hour to convert the
starches. Grains are never boiled because that causes astringency.

> Some yeast are better at processing starches? And why the alchol limit, ah because the
> yeast are not able to process the wierd materials at higher alochol levels?

The toxicity of the alcohol shuts down the yeast. There will be some
residual starches and unfermentable sugars that will stop the yeast as
well but if I used the right yeast and techniques it's possible to brew
a 20%+ ABV beer. I frequently brew 10-11% beers with beer yeast.

> I like how wine is basically self sanitary and beer is not.

This is true, but I tend to use the same sanitation techniques whether
I'm brewing beer, wine, or mead. It's not that much trouble and besides
sooner or later lazy people WILL get and infection in their beer/wine.

> Like you basically can't get sick on 13% wine right?

Drink a gallon of 13% wine and tell us how you feel the next morning.