Posted to alt.food.wine
Hunt Hunt is offline

Default ideal restaurant wine list

In article . com>,
says...

>A friend is designing a restaurant for a class and asked me for help
>with the wine list. So I have a fun (I find it fun) question for the
>wine community: what would be on your ideal restaurant wine list?
>there's no regional cuisine associated with the restaurant, but it is
>proposed to be "upscale" maybe $25-40 a plate. she's looking for some
>specific wine recomendations, from the everyday to the extravagant, the
>common to rare to infamous names.
>
>thanks for any help, maybe this restaurant will exist someday
>-tomw
>
>p.s. general retail prices would also help (markup is tbd)

Do not have specific wines, but some general thoughts:

Best recent wine list was Chef Mavro's, Honolulu, HI, US.

Besides a very full list, to compliment their dishes, the sommelier had
several "extras." One was a great half-bottle list. Next was a B-T-G selection
that spanned their premium list with fair pricing. Last was his "selections"
for the various tasting menus, and there were four, included regular B-T-G
selections, PLUS his "rare" selections for a few $ more. All of these were
well worth the extra expense. Since I often dine with my wife, a handful of
half-bottles is a great plus. Who can pick the quintesential bottle to cover
all courses?

Picking the bottles for the cellar, should be highly predicated on the
cuisine. One fine Pacific-Rim restaurants, back in CO, had Silver Oak Napa and
Jordan Sonoma at really good prices - actually less than at either winery, but
their cuisine did not support these two Cabs, regardless of price.

Hunt