Roy Basan

Default Pumpkin Chiffon Pie questions

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message >...
> "toolguy" > wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I posted this on rec.food.cooking but just in case, I thought I'd post
> > it here too.
> >
> > I'm well known amongst friends and family for my Pumpkin Chiffon pies.
> > This year I thought to try a couple of new ideas and I'd like to get
> > feedback please.
> >
> > 1. I thought the pie could be improved with fresh ginger instead of
> > powdered. The recipe calls for a 1/2 teaspoon of dried. How much
> > minced fresh ginger would you suggest to sub for the dried? Has
> > anyone done this and if so, how'd it turn out? Was it an improvement
> > over the powdered ginger?

The rule in pumpkin pie is that you get the desired flavour
balance;just add enough spice but not more to have an overpowering
flavour.As an option You can combine ginger with other spices such as
cloves, mace or nutmeg or even cinnamon and cardamom.
Fresh ginger can have a slight different flavor characteristics than
the dried one.As the fresh has moisture you will have to add more.But
the bottom line is you must have to make your own baking test and see
what is the best for your taste. Other bakers add citrus flavor like
a grated lemon or orange peel(or combination) in order to balance the
taste. Not too spicy and with a hint of fruity flavor.

There are some recipes that baked type of the chiffon pie( and not
the refrigrated version) and they use a higher level of spice
combination, taking into consideration the volatility of some of the
flavor notes in spices.

> > 2. My recipe whips egg whites to fold in with the pumpkin etc. I read
> > a recipe on Epicurious which uses whipped whipping cream instead of
> > egg whites. Sounds like this might be a possible improvement. Any
> > thoughts on this???

Incorporating egg whites to chiffon pies will lighten it up;but adding
some lightly whipped cream will improve the eating quality and will
put a distinctive body in the pie.Just bear in mind that the lightness
in texture will be diminished if that is what you are used to.
In the other way the pumpkin pie is served with a dollop of cream,
Other individuals would prefer to use the whipped cream as topping
after placing in the pie filling and chilled ; and others go to the
extreme eating pumpkin pie with sour cream instead , while other
prefer yoghurt and even ice cream...
Roy