Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Jack Tyler Jack Tyler is offline

Default Thanksgiving meal mostly original Amerindian stuff

DaveTwo wrote:
> I mean, Thanksgiving is an American Holiday originating out of a meal
> comprised of American foods.
>
> It's kind of like pointing out that people eat foods with chiles on Cinco De
> Mayo.

"Thanksgiving" became a national holiday (I believe) in the 1860's, per
Abraham Lincoln, over 200 years after the Pilgrims arrived here. While
our first president declated that we should all celebrate Thanksgiving,
we were only 13 states at the time. The first Thanksgiving was
celebrated as a traditional English harvest feast. Now, it is an annual
feast giving thanks to God for the bounty that we enjoy here... much of
which was planted, grown and raised and shipped here in the past 200
years. I'm not sure that it's important that it wasn't here when
Pilgrims arrived. Much of what was eaten on that first "Thanksgiving"
day was grown from seeds brought over here by the Pilgrims.

Jack