Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Turkey Gravy Revisited (long)

Oh pshaw, on Fri 24 Nov 2006 02:20:28a, -L. meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> <snip>
>

>> This was the smoothest, most flavorful gravy I've ever tasted. It may
>> sound like a lot of work, but it really wasn't, since the effort was
>> spaced out.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Sounds delicious! I would never have thought to use allspice in turkey
> gravy - I will bet it gives it a nice edge. I make lkiller gravy but
> it's pretty boring in comparison! I crock pot necks overnight, and
> cook down the broth from those to use as the base - the necks impart
> lots of gelatin and flavor. It's fairly low in fat so I add butter to
> get the fat content up.
>
> -L.

Thanks, Lyn. I usually add a few allspice berries to most broths/stocks I
make, also in stews and spaghetti sauce. It's just a hint of flavor, and
doesn't stand out too much.

I've used necks before, but in a stockpot, not a crockpot. That's a good
idea. I bought wings only this time because I really didn't need a package
of both for this one occasion. If the excess went to the freezer, they'd
have hung around too long.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.