Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Turkey Gravy Revisited (long)

Oh pshaw, on Fri 24 Nov 2006 06:49:18a, stark meant to say...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say excellent,
>> but I wanted to try something different this year. The results were
>> superior to anything I've made in the past. This is what I did...

> . . . . . . . . . . . . .
>
>> When the turkey breast was done, I drained off the pan juices and
>> browned bits and allowed the fat to rise to the top, then removing it.
>> I mixed the two quantities of fat, then measured out about 1/2 cup.

> You lost me. What two quantities of fat? Did you save fat from the
> chilled stock?

Yes, from the stock which was chilled overnight. I removed the fat
afterwards.

>> Measured out 2 cups of the pan juices, adding back the measured fat,
>> then added 2 cups of the previously prepared stock. Brought this
>> mixture to a slow boil.

> And you got 2 cups of pan juices from your turkey breast? I only got
> 3/4 cup
> of everything from a 13 lb. turkey and that included the runoff from 3
> bastings
> with a pomegranite sauce.
>
> Please clarify. Thanks.

I roast a turkey breast on a bed of celery, carrots, and onions, and I use
a roasting bag. The combination of vegetables giving off juices and bag
preventing excess evaporation yields more juice at the end.

Pomegranite sauce, huh. Sounds delicious!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Useless Invention: Solar powered night light.