Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Turkey Gravy Revisited (long)

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> stark wrote:
> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> I've always made decent gravy, in fact most people would say excellent, but
> >> I wanted to try something different this year. The results were superior
> >> to anything I've made in the past. This is what I did...

> > . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> >
> >> When the turkey breast was done, I drained off the pan juices and browned
> >> bits and allowed the fat to rise to the top, then removing it. I mixed the
> >> two quantities of fat, then measured out about 1/2 cup.

> > You lost me. What two quantities of fat? Did you save fat from the
> > chilled stock?
> >> Measured out 2 cups of the pan juices, adding back the measured fat, then
> >> added 2 cups of the previously prepared stock. Brought this mixture to a
> >> slow boil.

> > And you got 2 cups of pan juices from your turkey breast? I only got
> > 3/4 cup
> > of everything from a 13 lb. turkey and that included the runoff from 3
> > bastings
> > with a pomegranite sauce.
> >
> > Please clarify. Thanks.
> >

> Well, Wayne said:...
>
> "This morning I removed the solidified fat and allowed the stock to warm
> to room temperature."
>
> I took this to mean the first lot of fat.
>
> Then Wayne said:
>
> "When the turkey breast was done, I drained off the pan juices and
> browned bits and allowed the fat to rise to the top, then removing it..."
>
> I took that to mean the 2nd lot of fat.
>
> However, maybe I am wrong

I use a "V" rack to support the bird so this year I poured 6 cups of
water into the pan, with the giblets and neck (no liver), a carrot, a
couple stalks of celery, and a clove of garlic. This year I had a
rather smallish bird (13lbs) so roasted for almost 5 hours. After
separating the fat I ended up with a full quart of perfect gravy, very
rich... didn't bother to thicken as I like thin gravy, kinda turkey au
jus. As an added benefit the pan and rack were much easier to clean
than usual.