Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin Lewis Perin is offline

Default How green is your YinHao Jasmine?

"Space Cowboy" > writes:

> I have several commercial brands and one online vendor brand of YinHao
> Jasmine from a Chinese vendor. YinHao means Silver Tips more or
> less.

I think it means Silver Hair literally, which implies young leaves
that are downy, unlike, say, the mature ones typically used for oolong.

> There is lots of white tip but the leaf looks almost oolong in color.
> It might be a stretch to say it is a dark green. However the spent
> leaf is green. One of my Chinese boxes says Green Tea with Jasmine
> fragrance. The Internet says the base tea is green tea from the yearly
> spring scented with Jasmine blossom from the early fall. That seems a
> long time for green tea to sit around and not change colors.

Or maybe it's the blossoms that suffer through a long winter until
they can unite with those tender young tea leaves? That would be the
charitable assumption.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /