Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Kake L Pugh Kake L Pugh is offline

Default Miso baked tofu - and aubergine thing

I originally saw this recipe on livejournal:
http://community.livejournal.com/veg...tml?style=mine

but the original seems to be from About.com:
http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maind...r/misotofu.htm

I changed it about a bit, but basically stuck to the original idea.
It's really rather tasty; I even tested it on a tofu-hater and he
didn't hate it. Use a brand of tofu with a good texture - I used
Clean Bean tofu, which is a fresh, unpasteurised tofu available here
in London (not sure about outside London, sorry).

Miso-sesame marinade:
100g (5 Tbsp, 1/3 cup) miso
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp ginger puree or equivalent fresh, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp soya milk
3 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
dash of cayenne pepper, or 1/2 tsp hot bean paste, or similar (optional)

Put all the marinade ingredients into a blender and whizz to a thin
puree.

Miso baked tofu:
Cut tofu into 1cm (1/2 inch) thick pieces, and marinade them in the
miso mixture for at least 10 minutes. To cook them, lay them on an
oiled baking tray and bake them at 200-230C (400-450F) for about 15-20
minutes, until done to taste. You can turn them over halfway through
and drizzle on a bit more miso mixture, if you like. If you like the
flavour of the uncooked marinade, drizzle a bit over before serving to
add a bit of extra zing from the fresh ginger and garlic.

Aubergine (eggplant) with miso-sesame sauce:
This is what you do with the leftover marinade from the tofu dish.
(The marinade will keep in the fridge for a few days at least.) Cut
an aubergine into bite-sized cubes, and marinade it in the miso
marinade for at least 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, and
sautee over high heat in a frying pan greased with sunflower oil,
until softened to your liking. Pour over the marinade, and cook,
stirring, for a little longer until the sauce has reduced and coated
the aubergine. Serve with rice.

All very tasty! And one of the best ways to cook aubergine, since
marinading it in something salty also makes it soak up less oil.

Kake