Greg Zywicki

Default Ice Cream Question???

"SPOONS" > wrote in message . rogers.com>...
> Hi all,
>
> I recently got a GE gel canister ice cream maker and I've had a few hits &
> misses. I don't use any eggs in my ice cream recipes only cream, milk &
> sugar. So far I've made chocolate ice cream twice and I don't like how it
> turned out mostly because I don't know what type of chocolate to use. I did
> find some Lindt Fine Dark Chocolate that is 85% cocao & it's 100 gr bar.
> Can I use this in my next attempt? Or can you recommend something better.
>
> Also what are some of your favorite ice cream recipes that you've created?
> I'm looking to try something new.
>
> Thanks a bunch & Take care,
> SPOONS
> My photo food log http://www.fotolog.net/giggles

I've used chocolate chips to pleasing effect. I might not be picky,
though.

The key, I found, was to heat the dairy and combine the ingredients in
a blender. Before that, I got a grainy mess. After that, I was
amazed at how much better and smoother my chocolate ice cream was than
other types. The cocoa butter is a great stabilizer for philly ice
cream.

Coconut ice cream is another great treat. I've only tried recipes
that involve adding a can of coconut cream (the canned, sweetened
product used to make pina collada [sorry, no tilde]) to your dairy.

Check out the Good Eat's fan page for a transcript of Alton Brown's
show on Ice Cream. Interesting, informative stuff.

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/GEFP/index.htm

One other thing to take note of; there's a neat trick where you melt
chocolate and add, I think, some oil. You drizzle this molten
chocolate in towards the end of the freezing cycle to get micro-chips
of chocolate. This is how most commercial chocolate chip ice cream is
made. One place for the details is
Nick Malgieri's chocolate book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Greg Zywicki