Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Vicky Conlan Vicky Conlan is offline

Default Spicy Aztec Hot Chocolate Help

According to >:
>I can use water instead of milk, but how much vanilla powder/extract,
>chili powder, cinnamon powder and plain cocoa would I used to
>substitute for each of these ingredients?.
> * 1 2/3 cups milk
> * 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
> * 1 red chili pepper, split with seeds removed
> * 1 cinnamon stick, around 3-4"
> * 1 1/2 oz chocolate (bittersweet)

Other than the milk, I don't think any of the above items would have
a problem sitting about on your desk! cinnamon sticks, in my experience,
have the same shelf life as powder. Not sure about vanilla beans, but
you seem to be able to buy them in the same kind of container as the
other spice powders, so I would expect it to last ok.