Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking
Kake L Pugh Kake L Pugh is offline

Default Beetroot ideas wanted!

Natarajan Krishnaswami > wrote:
> I bet it'd be good in a sambar-like preparation (simmer veggie, raw
> hing, tamarind, and sambar (or "madras curry powder") in water; add
> cooked toor dal or red lentils; fry hing, a whole red chili, and
> mustard seeds, and pour on top. Garnish with chopped coriander leaf
> if desired.)

Ooh, I like the sound of this one, thank you! Did you start with raw
beetroot or cooked beetroot?

> (If you have cooked potatoes, beets and potatoes pair really well in
> the same dish; they're good in the roast curry above, too.)

Now I'm wondering if you can roast beetroot like you can roast
potatoes (i.e. cut into cubes and tossed with oil rather than being
wrapped in foil) or whether they're too juicy for it to work well. I
shall have to experiment.

Kake