Posted to rec.food.baking
Dee Randall Dee Randall is offline

Default is that bread or cake?

"peter" > wrote in message
news:sAQ6h.4889$T_.684@trndny06...
> Given a piece of bakery, how can you tell if it was made with yeast or
> baking powder?

If I were given a piece of bakery, I can tell by taste alone. Perhaps not
so much if it is baking powder only, but some bakery pieces are made with
both baking powder and baking soda (for whatever scientific reason the
recipe calls for); but if it has any baking soda in particular in it and
baking powder , it tastes of amonia to me. For that reason I try not to
make any bakery product that uses baking soda in it, but I will try a new
recipe that does.

You might try to fine tune your taste senses in this regard when eating a
bakery piece in a shoppe, then ask which it has -- perhaps you'll prefer one
over another and that is another way of learning/or telling what you really
like or want to bake.

Happy baking,
Dee Dee