Bob (this one)

Default What's in St. Louis?

LAllin wrote:

> On 8-Jun-2004, "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
>> I'm going to a bonsai convention in St. Louis, MO next week and
>> I've never been there before.

> What venue; convention center, hotel or Botanical Garden? Will you
> have a car? What is preferred cuisine?

The convention will be held at the Renaissance Hotel adjacent to
Lambert St. Louis International Airport. I'll have a van. And wife and
12-year-old daughter (who is cooler than most adults).

Cuisine? I'm not setting limits. I just want to see what the quaint
natives eat as they dance around in their colorful native costumes
singing tuneful native folk songs, playing their exotic native musical
instruments.

>> Where do I want to go and what foods do I need to try?

> Toasted Ravioli for an appetizer at any Italian restaurant.

I've heard this and plan to fit it into what seems like a fairly
crowded schedule.

> Botanical Garden is on the edge of the Italian community ("The
> Hill") so plenty of very good Italian food; any restaurant on "The
> Hill" is going to be a good choice, though my favorite is
> Cunetto's, closely followed by Rigazzi's. Good Mexican at Chuy
> Arzola's in "Dogtown".
>
> Like sports celebrity steakhouse? Dierdorf and Hart's or Mike
> Shannon's downtown.
>
> Four star? Tony's, also downtown.
>
> Cheap? White Castle or Courtesy Drive-in or, Big Ed'd Chili Mac
> Diner (downtown) or OT Hodge Chili Parlor (near downtown)
>
> Hamburger? Dooley's Pub downtown or O'Connel's pub near Botanical
> Garden.
>
> or check out
> http://www.riverfronttimes.com/issue...ining_toc.html and
> use the search box (lower right of page) to search by cuisine,
> neighborhood, etc.
>
>> I expect a full report on my desk in the morning.

> Good luck with that; you'd have to leave an email address for that
> to happen

<sigh> that's the problem with traveling incognito. Thanks...

Pastorio