Blair P. Houghton

Default Ice Cream Question???

SPOONS > wrote:
>Hi all,

Just remember, you asked for it.

>I recently got a GE gel canister ice cream maker and I've had a few hits &
>misses. I don't use any eggs in my ice cream recipes only cream, milk &
>sugar. So far I've made chocolate ice cream twice and I don't like how it
>turned out mostly because I don't know what type of chocolate to use. I did

I believe (from a faint memory of a television show
or three, not any actual experience churning the stuff
myself) that you need to start with a ganache rather than
chocolate. But then, chocolate ice cream is a ganache, so I
don't quite know why I'm making the distinction...

You'll probably have to try several brands of couverture
before you find one that tastes right, because the same kind
of chocolate tastes different when coming from different
chocolatiers...but maybe that's what you're asking...

>find some Lindt Fine Dark Chocolate that is 85% cocao & it's 100 gr bar.
>Can I use this in my next attempt? Or can you recommend something better.

No. Mail it here, packed with one of those frozen
gel-packs to prevent it from, uh, outgassing, yeah,
that's it. I'll dispose of it where it will never hurt
anyone again.

>Also what are some of your favorite ice cream recipes that you've created?
>I'm looking to try something new.

I invented this thing where you squeeze chocolate syrup out
of a bottle onto vanilla ice cream.

--Blair
"'A la mode', I called it."