Blair P. Houghton

Default Alton put the meat right on the coals!

Bob > wrote:

>>> Er...you mean the way a bellows cools a forge?

>> No, the way blowing air through a convection cell pushes
>> the heat out the other side. You're increasing radiant
>> heat (didn't I just say that?) by increasing oxygen flow
>> to the combusting surface but pushing heat that would have
>> been convected to the food over to the exhaust.
>>
>> If the hair dryer weren't a cooling device in that system,
>> you might as well just cook the food with the hair dryer.
>>
>> "It's called a convection oven."

>Sorry, I didn't go into depth on AB's grill setup with the hair dryer. The
>hair dryer is mounted in such a way that it doesn't blow air across the
>food, it blows air across the coals. Yes, that increases radiant energy. And
>since the convection currents aren't sent across the food, convection
>cooling of the food isn't an issue. That's why the setup is more akin to a
>forge than a convection oven.
>
> "NOW do you understand?"

Yes, because I always understood, and I understand that
you're not understanding.

You're not "convection cooling" the food so much as blowing
away all the convection-borne energy that would have gone from
the coals to the food.

Now, if the setup was designed merely to recirculate the
air in the enclosed grill space while still managing to
increase oxygen flow to the coal surface, you'd have
invented a means of creating oxygen from combusted
material...so it wouldn't work.

You necessarily must blow hot air out of the grill to get
more oxygen to the coals.

So your best bet is to duct the air leaving the coals so
it at flows directly onto the food before it leaves
the grill.

Is this what AB's setup did?

--Blair
"Are you making fun of my quotes?"