Old 14-11-2006, 08:18 PM posted to alt.food.wine
jIM jIM is offline

Default 3i. NY Finger Lakes?

Mark Lipton wrote:
What follows is a rough draft of recommendations for the Finger Lakes
region of NY State. I would appreciate any additional information about
recommended wineries (or other wineries to recommend) as well as the
usual comments, criticisms and corrections.

--------------- Begin C&P -------------------------
The Finger Lakes region of upstate New York is a cool weather growing
region that has been producing "serious" wines for about 30 years now.
Production there centers on the cooler climate vinifera grapes
(Riesling, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Franc) as well as
labrusca (native) and vinifera-labrusca hybrids. The latter grapes are
more suited to the cold winters of upstate NY, but are not to everyones'
tastes. Production centers around two lakes, Seneca and Cayuga, both of
which are near to Ithaca, NY.

Wineries:

Castle Gritsch - Terrific view, decent wines
Lucas
Knapp
Sheldrake Point (W Cayuga) - Pinot Noir, Riesling and Cabernet Franc
Hosmer (W Cayuga) - Pinot Noir, Riesling and Cabernet Franc
Standing Stone (E Seneca) - Excellent white wines
Wagner (E Seneca) - Good Riesling and Gewurztraminer, excellent beer
Dr. Konstantin Frank - A regional pioneer, good Riesling
Ravines - Good Riesling
Heron Hill - Good Riesling
Hermann J. Wiemar (W Seneca) -
Miles Cellars
Lamoreaux Landing - nice wines, interesting building (gorgeous tasting
room!)
A****er (E Seneca) -
Hazlitt 1852 (E Seneca) -

Keuka
http://www.keukawinetrail.com/

Hunt Country- I liked their selection. laid back wine tasting
Dr Konstantin- OK wines, I thought the host was snobby (but he clearly
talked like he knew what he was talking about).

Seneca:
http://www.senecalakewine.com/jc/content/view/25/49/

Glenora- Liked their selection
Their were two wineries real close to one another either not listed
above or I forgot name of in 3 days (we were their last Friday). Had
more fruit wines (apple, berry types) than Grape wines.
Castel Grich- good holiday wines- Seneca Dream White and Seneca Dream
Red
Hazlitt 1852- a fun wine tasting experience (we make this the last stop
each year). They serve Jello shots with Red Cat, very fun.

Cayuga
http://www.cayugawinetrail.com/cwt_trailmap.taf

Swedish Hill Great selection
Knapp Great selection Vignoles is my favorate.
Goosewatch- if you stop by Knapp, this is around the corner and has a
great view, plus good wines.
Thirsty Owl- a first time stop last weekend, pleasently surprised.
Good wines and laid back staff.
Lucas- large variety of wines, they have a bottle with world trade
centers around it which we like to give as gifts. Have a good
Vignoles, good Reisling and excellent staff.
Americana- I like their late harvest. Also have wine scented candles,
which my wife loves. This was a first time stop this year and will be
a stop every time we head back to area.

Dining:

Red Newt - Nice bistro for lunch
Wagner Vineyards - Nice restaurant for lunch

Seneca Lodge
There is a restraurant at southern tip of Seneca Lake, not far from
castle Gritsch- Highly recomend. Reasonably priced.

Lodging:

Golden Knight Inn and Suites - Book far in advance
Castle Gritsch - B&B with nice view

Seneca Lodge

Websites:

http://www.fingerlakeswinecountry.com/
http://www.uncorknewyork.com/winecou...akes/index.asp
http://www.senecalakewine.com

If staying at Seneca Lodge-

Day 1 trip went from Seneca Lodge to Dr K (a 75 minute drive). The
North on Keuka to Hunt, then to North part of Seneca back down (ending
at Castle Grich). 6-7 hour trip.

Day 2 trip went to Northern part of Cayuga (swedish hill), went south
to Americana, then across 143 West to Seneca Lodge. Can hit Hazlitt
and others heading south towards Seneca Lodge. 6-7 hour trip.