Posted to alt.food.wine
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default 89 Font de Michelle, 00 St Bris

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 14:22:32 -0500
Mark Lipton > wrote:

> Emery Davis wrote:
>
> > Mark, I think everyone but Bill Spohn is starting to find those 89 and
> > 90s thin on the ground. But as it happens I've got nearly a case of the
> > 89 in question, I think I forgot about it for a while. Not to mention that
> > '89 cuvée Etienne Gonnet, which is still waiting for you and Jean (and
> > Andrew) to taste!

> Hold onto it! It'll be another couple of years before we're brave
> enough to take him on a trans-Atlantic flight. This weekend's 3-hour
> train trip from Chicago was enough for us ;-) Jean's been militating
> for a return to France, and we've never been to the Loire, so you're in
> our crosshairs.

Looking forward to it! As to Andrew's frequent flyer points, I think you've
just got to take the plunge. Our Gillian did her first 13 hour flight at
8 weeks, and (perhaps as a result of habit) neither her nor brother
Paxon have ever made a scene on a plane. If fact at 7 and 9 they
just did their first solo, a trip to Florida, that with delays had them
on the plane for 12 hours... Apparently it went well enough, at least
Air France hasn't sent a letter refusing future flights!

Anyway if he's eating Bresse chicken fingers, I think you'd better
let him start tasting the wine. (Gillian and Paxon liked the CdP
too, by the way. <g>)

[]
> whatever it is they're going to do. What's been your impression of the
> '95s you've opened so far? I've heard mixed reviews on the Wine Internet.

I'm very skeptical in general of 95 CdP. It got high billing from the
locals as being similar to 88, but it clearly lacks the depth of fruit
as well as the structure of that year. This was less obvious upon
release of the wines.

What's bizarre is that none of my 95s have really gone to sleep in the
usual manner. They seem to fade in and out of focus, but remain
feminine (by and large if not exclusively) and fruit forward.

I certainly don't think 95 is a year for the long haul, and I really
scratch my head thinking about RP saying 20+ years. Some
nice wines but no great classics, and a vintage that will be
remembered for huge price hikes and internationalization more
than terrific quality.

My 0.02¢. What do you think?

-E

--