Posted to alt.food.wine
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default 89 Font de Michelle, 00 St Bris

First the Sauvignon St Bris, from Marcel Pichon. A bizarre wine with
a transition-of-seasons meal: grilled fresh sardines, cepes, broccoli. (Nearly
the last of the year's cepes, but with the cold weather the winter
grilling season starts in earnest. Since there's a fire most
every day, we grill 4 or 5 times per week.) What a strange bottle,
a very yeasty champagne-like nose, and almost like a still
champagne in the mouth also: medium acid, yeast, creamy
but muted fruit. No sauvignon typicity. Adele liked but I
didn't much. The bottle was a gift and normally had been
properly stored, the giver a Burgundian with a very fine cellar.
Damaged?

'89 Font de Michelle (regular cuvee) with rotisseried duck,
saute of sprouts and chestnuts. (A very fine duck from
a different duck guy than we usually use). A very elegant
CdP, fully mature from IMHO the best year of the extraordinary
trio of 88-89-90. Clear color going a bit brick, rich
spicy kirsch nose, very long and with terrific balance,
layer after layer of fruit confit with overtones of white pepper
and spice. A true pleasure, this is why we have a cellar!

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom