Bob

Default Alton put the meat right on the coals!

Gloria and others answered Isaac:

> > Can I put the skirt steak right on them?

<snip>
> I wouldn't. You'd get the residue of everything else you've
> ever grilled previously on the steak. Ugh.

There are two other things to consider:

1. Before putting the steak on the coals, Alton used a hair dryer to get the
coals burning fiercely. I don't think a gas grill could get the lava rocks
that hot.

2. Alton made a big deal out of mentioning that the coals no longer had
oxygen, so flare-ups couldn't occur. In a gas grill, wouldn't that mean
you'd have gas bubbling up under the steaks, and wouldn't that affect the
flavor? (Unless you shut the gas off, I suppose...but that kind of defeats
the purpose.)

Bob