Posted to rec.food.cooking
Barb Barb is offline

Default Thanksgiving Gravy Nightmares

Ward Abbott wrote:
> Why does everyone have horror stories about making gravy? We all know
> how to make a perfect béchamel sauce which is the basic, classic sauce
> technique.
>
> I hear these "MIL" stories and I can't comprehend WHY gravy continues
> to be an issue.

My MIL refuses to use flour to make gravy. She uses cornstarch and is
always too light on the salt so the gravy turns out like musilage.
Drippings? HEH the frond immediately gets hit with Palmolive and hot
water. And all the fat's gotta go, too. Sometimes I beg to make the
gravy, but she never lets me at the drippings so I have to use a white
roux to thicken whatever stock she's made with the giblets. Then she
hits it with Kitchen Bouquet because "it's too light". argh....

Going to my daughter's this year for Thanksgiving. It will be her first
time hosting for the family. And I get to make the gravy with real
drippings! /sigh of satisfaction.

Aloha!

Barb