Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom (palindrome guy) modom (palindrome guy) is offline

Default Thanksgiving Gravy Nightmares

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 21:18:40 -0500, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>Why does everyone have horror stories about making gravy? We all know
>how to make a perfect béchamel sauce which is the basic, classic sauce
>technique.
>
>I hear these "MIL" stories and I can't comprehend WHY gravy continues
>to be an issue.

My turkey gravy is based on a very dark roux. Some folks can't handle
cooking with a dark roux since it won't thicken as much stock as its
lighter siblings will. Could this be part of some people's gravy
troubles?
--
modom

"Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are easily traced.
Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy relatives."

--Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook