Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Thanksgiving Gravy Nightmares

Oh pshaw, on Fri 03 Nov 2006 07:18:40p, Ward Abbott meant to say...

> Why does everyone have horror stories about making gravy? We all know
> how to make a perfect béchamel sauce which is the basic, classic sauce
> technique.
>
> I hear these "MIL" stories and I can't comprehend WHY gravy continues
> to be an issue.

Most, but not all, of the technique of making a béchamel (white) sauce is
applicable, but there are other factors. Drippings vs. pan juices, knowing
the difference and how to separate them; the "browned bits" that need to be
scraped from the roasting pan, a well-seasoned stock, etc.

A béchamel does not a Thanksgiving gravy make.

Having said that, I have absolutely never had a problem making gravy for
fowl or other meats, and I don't understand the issue either. If one is a
good basic cook, it should be an easy thing to master.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Cats must try to kill the curlicues of ribbon on
the finished packages.