Posted to rec.food.drink.beer
Paul Sherwin Paul Sherwin is offline

Default pain reliever + beer

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 14:29:21 +0000, Joel wrote:

> Paul Sherwin > wrote:
>>Indometacin (Indocin) is a prescription only anti inflammatory drug used
>>to treat arthritis. Ibuprofen has a similar action but is less powerful
>>with fewer side effects. You could try taking over the counter ibuprofen
>>and see how much it helps, but you should really discuss this with your
>>doctor. Don't take the two drugs at the same time unless your doctor tells
>>you to.
>>
>>Some people advocate taking an ibuprofen dose before going to bed after a
>>heavy session. The anti inflammatory action reduces brain inflammation
>>which is the cause of some hangover headaches.

> I was taking modestly high doses of Ibuprofin awhile back
> due to some inflammation in my knee. The doctor was quite
> adamant about not mixing it with alcohol.

You might like to ask him for an explanation sometime. Many doctors advise
alcohol abstinence when taking *any* medication, because it's easier than
explaining the limits and possible risks, but there is no interaction
between alcohol and ibuprofen that I'm aware of. It's possible that he was
concerned about stomach irritation if you were taking very high doses
(higher than OTC doses) round the clock for an extended period.

Alcohol related stomach irritation is less likely in beer drinkers than
wine or spirit drinkers.

Paul