Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
[email protected] danicaradovanov@gmail.com is offline

Default Old Yixing teapots on Ebay

The pots were not waxy, they were filthy dirty! The kind of grime that
seems burnt on and drip-shaped. Some were downright scary! Which to my
mind explained why they were so cheap. But lo and behold this denture
product (non minty) called Sparkle that I bought on the internet did
the trick. You have to use boiling water and put cleaner inside and
outside the pot overnight. Then do a rinse soak in hot water for 8
hours. I didn't, which meant repeated brushings, and on some pots I
even had to introduce whitening toothpaste to really get the grime out.
Baking soda would have been much better! But they all got clean, I
shined a flashlight inside and they were restored. I think that wax
wouldn't have responded to denture cleaner the way that this stuff did.
It also didn't leave any residue on my brush bristles, which is
another reason I don't think it's wax.

Once I cleaned the pots they were really nice. Not all of them were
equally good quality but I felt pleased that at least 3 were winners
for my own personal daily use, so at less than $350 for 3 or more good
pots (counting the other six as possible gifts for others) I felt
alright. I also bought a zhuni from Stephane Erler and got similar
results from my teapots. And lastly, none were as bad as the worst
yixing pots that I've bought from vendors.

http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN