Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
[email protected] nospam_rchouine@gmail.com is offline

Default ferment stuck solid...seeking advice suggestions

Same problem here. Started with water, apples, maple syrup and sugar.
SG was 1.080. After 2 weeks, SG was 1.050, I decided to transfer into a
carboy. After 2 other weeks, the SG was still at 1.050, and it really
tasted like juice. So I retransfered into bucket and added new yeast
(EC 1118), 2 days after, SG was still 1.050 and no bubbling. It started
to look and smell really wierd, so it finnally went down the drain.
Snif.
I thought maybe the maple syrup had something in it to prevent
fermentation? Or is it the yeast that cannot ferment maple sugar? I'll
try next year without the maple syrup. It doesn't cost anything since
the apples grow in my backyard.

Sorry I know that this doesn't help you, but our problems are alike and
I'll be glad if someone can help us.