Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally Kate Connally is offline

Default Trader Joe's

Zywicki wrote:

> On Oct 30, 12:41 pm, Kate Connally > wrote:
>
>>Hooray!!! At last Pittsburgh has a Trader Joe's.
>>
>>I'm especially excited about it because I lived in
>>So. Calif. for 13 years and shopped at TJ's a lot.
>>I really missed it when I moved back to Pittsburgh.
>>

> I'm becoming more and more a TJ's cultist.

> Recent obsession inducing finds:

> Cashew, Almond, Coconut and Chocolate "Trek Mix." Way too good, and
> the nuts are roasted.

This sounds good. I'll have to look for it.

>>I also bought a bottle of McIntosh apple juice, made with
>>all McIntosh apples.
>>When I go to Vermont I always buy cider that is made from
>>mostly McIntosh apples (shoot, I'd go to VT just to get that
>>cider if I could afford it) and it always tasty very McIntoshy.

> Shirley, there must be an orchard around Pitt or in Ohio that can
> provide you with this.

Nope, believe me, I've looked. They only time I ever
found McIntosh cider was about 10 or 15 years ago at the
Flax Scutching Festival in Stahlstown. A local Boy Scout
troup was pressing cider at the fair. It was all McIntosh
apples. The reason the cider in VT is mostly McI. is that
they grow mostly McI. up there. That's not the case
around here. I've talked to some of the major orchards
that make cider in this area and they always blend and
use a lot of Golden Delicious (which I hate). There was
one place that made some "varietals" like Granny Smith
cider but no McI. Damn! McI. is my favorite apple, best
flavor with just the right balance of sweet and tart.
I really can't get very excited about any other apple
varieties although I'll eat them if necessary. Except
for the mis-names Delicious apples which I abhor.

> I know you could get
> it in Michigan, but that's 5 hours of driving.

Well, I'll look for some when I drive thru next fall on
my way to Montana to visit my sister. I want to visit
the Cherry Republic also. What's a good area for the
cider?

Kate

--
Kate Connally