Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jessica V. Jessica V. is offline

Default does baileys go bad if not refrigerated?

s wrote:
> i have a few newbie questions which i hope your group wouldnt mind.
>
> i know this liquor is described as a 'cream' but can it go bad if it
> has all that alcohol in it?
>
> does it need to be refrigerated when stored unopened? why does it
> have an expiry date?
>
> thanks

Yes it can go bad. It can even go bad unopened. About a decade ago my
husband's grandmother was told by the Dr. to lay off the booze. She
had cases of hard liquor & liquers in the wine cellar, for cocktail
parties and bridge games of course. When she finally decided to let go
of most of her hoarde we were gifted with a case of Bailey's among
other things.

The Bailey's could not have been more disgusting, whiskey and cream had
separated, foul smelling whiskey floated on top op the solidified cream
in the bottom of each bottle. I never again want to smell Bailey's
that has gone bad.

Jessica