Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Steve[_6_] Steve[_6_] is offline

Default Wine from kits

On 27 Oct 2006 17:25:13 -0700, "Ronin" > wrote:

>Ok, beer brewer here who's thinking about trying his hand at a kit
>wine. Probably use White Labs yeast and pick a fairly sweet wine to
>start with. Any recommendations, hints, tips?

Robin:

1) wine kits are designed to ferement dry and then be back sweetened
if desired with wine conditioner or juice. A few kits come with a
sweetener for this purpose.
2) most beer brewers freak out cause wine yeasts are slower and less
active fermentations. be patient
3) 4-week wine kits aren't ready to drink after 4 weeks, especially
reds. be patient
4) not that may kit makers use liquid yeasts. you may wish to stick
with the provided dry yeast, at least initially.
5) be patient
6) can't guess where you live or what kit brands are readily available
to you, so its tough to suggest a kit.
7) Be patient
8) Follow the instructions
9) since you're an experienced beer brewer, cleaning & sanitizing
shouldn't be a problem Some people like to get a separate primary for
their wine. This keeps the beer flavours & hops out of the wines (and
vice versa).
10) there's a good discussion forum at www.winepress.us

Whites are sweetened more than reds. Rieslings, gewurztraminers,
blushes are often sweetened.

If you have a local shop, ask them about a good kit for a first wine.

OH and the best advice I can give you 'be patient', Steve