Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Too many cucumbers!

Ken Knecht wrote:

> My neighbor gave me about a dozen fat cucumbers yesterday. I tried to
> politely refuse them but she wouldn't let me.
>
> What can I do with them? The only thing I use cucumbers for is salad and
> it's getting too cold weather for that and there are far too many. I'm
> not into making pickles.
>
> Any suggestions?

You can use a lot of cucumber in a proper Greek Salad. Peel (or
not) and chop some cucumber, tomato, onion, toss in some Kalamata
olives and Feta cheese. Season with salt and pepper and some
marjoram or oregano, then squeeze some lemon juice over it,
drizzle with olive oil .

There are also variations of cucumber or yoghurt salads. Peel
and grate a lot of cucumber and drain it in s fine sieve. Salt
helps to extract the water too. Combine with a clove or two of
finely minced garlic and yoghurt. Season with salt and pepper.
You can add mint, cumin....... there are lots of variations, and
they all taste great.

Don't tell your neighbour because she might start using up her
cucumbers and then you will lose your free supply.