Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default TN: SOBER tasting- Bdx, Rhone, Piedmont

DaleW wrote:

> 1996 Pape-Clement (Pessac-Leognan)
> Earthy, mineral, with redcurrant fruit. Some tobacco and pencil
> shavings with time. My favorite for drinking today, though it certainly
> has plenty of life ahead of it. A-

>From your note above and several other notes I have read on recent

vintages of Pape-Clement, this wine has greatly improved from what it
was in the 1970s. My notes from that era were not very flattering. They
also had a white in the 70s that was decent, but not outstanding, in
the one vintage that I tasted. If I were buying Bordeaux today, it
might be worth checking Pape-Clement again. In the 70s I soon concluded
that money spent for Pape-Clement would buy a wine much more to my
taste elsewhere.

OT Note:

I just downloaded the very new Firefox 2.0 browser, which is a major
upgrade in many ways. Now many words that I write or read in this group
have a red underline. I found out that the red underline is for words
for which Firefox questions the English spelling. In my response, Pape
is red underlined since the spelling checker does not understand the
French, at least on the English version of the browser. The same
applies for Pessac-Leognan on your post. Alt.food.wine now has become
rather colorful with red underlines, because so many non-English words
are used.