Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent Kent is offline

Default salt/cure level for brining at warmer temperature

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Kent, I do not use any water in the mixture. The only ingredients are
> those that I spoke of. Perhaps, I misused the term "brine". It may in
> fact be more accurately referred to as a dry cure. Although, as I
> said, the mixture draws moisture from the pork, so as time goes on, it
> does get somewhat diluted.
>
> --sam

As I was doing the above math, I wondered if you were trying to dry cure, as
described here. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5472722.html. It appears
that then you can age the ham at room temp, as our local butcher does.
I have been curious about this for some time, though the more I read the
more I find the process pretty risk for the amateur. Too little nitrites and
nitrates contribute to the risk of botulism. If you cook meat cured with
Prague powder #2, which I assume you are using you are using, you have to
worry nitrosamines, which cause cancer. Look at this URL if you haven't:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sausage_Making
Morton's Tenderquick, which is Prague powder #2, publishes a booklet about
curing and sells it on the internet for $5.99.
http://www.c-els.com/sfCatalog.asp?s...34&pchid=10196 It
includes instructions regarding dry curing some meats at home.They should
publish it on the internet free; I have told them that, and needless to say,
they don't, or won't. I have cured ribs using Tenderquick in brine at a
ratio of 25% Tenderquick to 75% NaCl and the ribs end up having a ham like
taste, which detracts from what ribs are supposed to taste like. If I do
this again, I would probably try pork tenderloin.
ou might try posing this question on rec.food.preserving. Someone may have
experience with this.
The best of luck to you regarding this. Keep us informed.

Kent