Posted to alt.food.wine
Matt S Matt S is offline

Default Australian wine industry feeling the heat.

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 21:17:02 +1300, "st.helier"
> wrote:

>Australia is in the grip of the worst drought in recorded history. While
>this impacts mainly on pastoral and arable farming, climate change will
>impact in other areas of the primary industry.
>
>-AAP: Melbourne
>
>"Climate change will dramatically alter growing conditions for Australia's
>wine industry causing a big drop in quality as well as in the production of
>Pinot Noir, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc, a new study shows.
>
>A University of Melbourne PhD student has charted the effect of the CSIRO
>climate change projects on Australia's major grape growing regions.
>
>"Temperatures in most Australian wine regions are projected to increase by
>between .3 to 1.7 degrees C by 2030" Leanne Webb of the University's Faculty
>of Land and Food Resources, said yesterday.
>
>"Modelling the effect of this temperature increase shows that grape quality
>could be reduced in some regions by 12 to 57 per cent compared to current
>conditions.
>
>Aside from a drop in quality, Webb said the rising temperatures would shift
>the grape "budburst" date, shorten the overall growing season and lead to
>earlier harvests.
>
>She said climate change would also redraw the map when it came to the type
>of wine each regions was renowned for and cool-climate varieties such as
>Pinot Noir might be reduced.
>
>Webb also said the industry could adapt by breeding new grape varieties that
>suited a warmer climate."

As if the drought is not being harsh enough on our farmers & growers,
my local region (Yarra Valley), saw many crops wiped out from a huge
frost one week ago. Some of the larger (ie DeBortoli) wineries had
damage but will still manage a crop, however, some smaller boutique
vineyards have lost the lot. Ah... we live in a dry harsh land!!

hooroo....