Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Paul E. Lehmann[_1_] Paul E. Lehmann[_1_] is offline

Default growing grapes

> wrote in message
ps.com...
>I have been making beer for about 3 years but wine is a new adventure
> for me. I am considering growing grapes in my back yard in order to
> make small quantities of wine every year. I'd like to run my idea by
> this crowd of experienced wine makers and make sure my plan is valid
> and get some good advice.
>
> My plan is to place 3 Zinfandal plants at 6ft spacing next to my fence.
> My understanding is that I will need to train it up to my desired
> height and then allow it to branch out along the fence.
>
> I am also considering 3 more plants to grow up the posts of my porch to
> form an overhang. I saw this at a winery this weekend and it was very
> attractive.
>
> So I'm wondering if this plan sounds workable, if I will need some type
> of netting to keep birds off, what time of year to plant and where to
> get the plants themselves. I am sure there are many issues I am not
> thinking of. I appreciate any advice I can get from this group.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Sure, your plan will work.
You will need bird netting after the grapes go into verasion - start turning
color
I don't know where you live but you can do an internet search for nurseries
that sell what you are looking for or call your county agriculture
department.